Sunday, May 2, 2010

Week 4 Art of Possibility..Being the Board

I have found this book to be so timely and in tune to how I am feeling it is uncanny. I have danced around the issue of how I came to be in this program to begin with as recount my recent move and past experiences in the classroom. I was sitting at that traffic light one day as I was told there was an allegation made and my 23 year teaching career came crashing down around me. Yes, I could blame the driver, the lawyers, administrators, silently supportive colleagues, and anyone else in my bewildered state of mind. How could this have happened? This was not part of the plan and now the school and program I had given the last 23 years of my life to were no longer a part of my life. Many think I should have done this, or ought to have done that as I had the support of hundreds of former students and their parents. The allegation was false but without the means to prove it there was no hope of saving my career. While I now know that we aren't our jobs, our career is not who we are, and yes when one door closes another opportunity presents itself it still does not change what happened. So I am quite appreciative of any wisdom I may gain as I find my way.
It was reassuring to be told that the paths of guilt, blame, helplessness, anger, and vengefulness are dead end streets leading us into a whirlpool from which there is no exit. It takes us away from "the living stream" and keeps us from moving forward. Having found a job an hour and 15 minutes away from my dream home it became increasingly evident that I would have to give up that cabin in the woods and move to the city. That is what I have been doing the last week and a half, and now am 12 minutes away from work in a 2 room apartment surrounded by boxes of stuff. I am the board and am moving about in the best way I know how, eventually embracing the creative opportunities living in a city can bring. I will also resume my teaching career at some level because as much as I love being a photographer, nothing compares to sharing what you know with others and helping them find their talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment